Friday, August 15, 2014

The earning of Leathers

Lately I've been asked these questions a lot, so I figured I'd put down what little I know. In hopes that others would share their experience and I could learn more.

This is my take on earned leather, from many years of conversation with many different leather paths.  IF you find fault with it, so be it; debate it with me and be prepared to prove your stance. This is how I DO what we DO.

I was taught there were 3 substantial rules about earned Leather:

* A: You could only give what you had earned
* B: Something had to be done in order to Earn it
* C: What you have given, you are responsible for

Simple? No, not really
From everything I have read and people I have talked with only 3 pieces were ever earned;

Boots
Boots were awarded after a period of time in which some form of growth had been accomplished.  The symbolism of it is / was; now that they were walking the leather path, this form of leather will protect you on that path.

The Vestment
In whatever form be it Vest, Jacket or Overcoat; this was the primary armor of the leather person. It is / was the symbolization that your family / club / tribe had faith in you to do what was right by their Code of Conduct. In their eyes you had what it takes to represent them.  I was taught when entrusted with my vestment, that at any time if I disrespected my club, or behaved in a manner that would bring dishonor to my club; my mentor would strip me of this responsibility.  Once the vestment is earned they have the right and responsibility to watch for those that "have the spark". Along with the vestment came the "Rank" of Sir / Ma'am. In the clubs I grew up in, it was mandatory that all vested individuals were referred to as Sir or Ma'am. No matter if their personal journey was known to you or not.  It was also stated that I was to introduce myself as "Sir Alan" to those I was introduced to; to not do so was disrespectful to those that had entrusted me with that rank. The vestment also gave me the responsibility of educating the newer members and guiding them on their path.  When I thought they passed the **Test of Time** I could pass on my leathers to them; knowing full well that I am responsible for their actions in the club.
I do not own my vestment it is not mine, I have been entrusted with it's care. Till the day I receive my next rank.

The Cover

This the "Lifetime Achievement Award" if you will.  Honestly; growing up in this scene, it was never talked about HOW you got one.  I did manage to glean a few prerequisites from the older guys over the years.

* A decade or more in active service as a Sir to the club / community / tribe
* A life lived honest with himself first and then others
* A life lived as an open book to his club / community / tribe
* It can only be passed down to you from a Senior Leatherman (Elder) in your club / community / tribe

From some sources I've been told;
*"5 years of learning then 5 years of teaching and you're on your way"*
*"a general knowledge of all tools used in our scene"*
*"if you have a question about our Culture, go ask a Cover, they've got it covered"*

The tradition comes from the Military Officers Cover, and those rules apply to its wear, care and protocols.  As far as a "title" going along with it, that is most certainly "regional". I've heard it said that it is disrespectful to not refer to someone with a Cover by anything other then Master (XYZ); but at the same time it is discourteous to introduce yourself as Master (XYZ). (Personally I'm still picking through the rubble on this one)
One thing is certain in my mind:
I do not own my Cover, it is not mine; I have been entrusted with it's care.

Every household / club / tribe is different and Many (mine included) have expanded this list to include the bracer and belt.

Side note A:
Ornamentation of a vestment ~
Entirely regional, but it's most recognized that family and club associations (pins / patches) go on the left. Ride pins and other "decorations" go on the right.
Center back patches are main club / organizational , colors / flags / advertisement (Title winners).
(any feedback on the following would be nice)
Ridge patch (top of shoulders) Home clubs of sponsorship affiliation.
Bottom patches or "Belt patches" worn on the bottom of the back ~ personal decorations / affiliations.

Side Note B:
Ornamentation of Covers ~
No ornamentation at all referred to as a "Daddy Cap" given by a family or group of friends that respect them as a "Daddy" to them all (????)
Silver brim edging or silver "Keeper" band means they do not switch.
Chain across the front as a "Keeper" band means that the Sir started off as a slave and worked their way up from there.
Front ornamentation (eagle / bear paw / ...) is a symbol or something that has great personal meaning to them .
Thank you for your time;
Master Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment